Get to know the United Nations
- United Nations (UN) was established on October 24, 1945. It’s predecessor, the League of Nations, was created by the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 and disbanded in 1946. It is made up of 193 member states
- It is headquartered in New York City but also has regional offices in Geneva, Vienna, and Nairobi.
- The UN Security Council is made up of five permanent members with veto rights: USA, China, Russia, UK, France; and ten non permanent members.
- The General Assembly is the main deliberative, policymaking and representative organ of the UN. All 193 Member States of the UN are represented in the General Assembly..
- According to its Charter, the UN aims:
to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war,…to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights,…to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom
Learn more at