The Story of Buffalo Wings
- The Buffalo wing was invented in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York by Teressa Bellissimo.
- Each wing is an unbreaded chicken wing section that is generally deep-fried then coated or dipped in a sauce consisting of a vinegar-based cayenne pepper hot sauce and melted butter prior to serving.
- Several versions of the story of the invention of the Buffalo wing have been circulated including:
- Teresa invented the wings as a snack for her son and he friends
- Teresa invented the wings as a nice gesture for the Catholic patrons of her bar
The wings are delicious and I am really glad they were invented. Over time, many restaurants have created their own version of chicken wings and as a customer, I am just happy. In India, where I am originally from, we have something called Chicken Lollypop. While not wings, these too are delicious.